What Documents do I need to apply for the Venezuelan DED?

We are extremely happy that there is finally a relief that protects our Venezuelan brothers and sisters provides them with a way to live and work legally in the United States. At Martí Law Firm, we are preparing to provide immigration services to anyone who qualifies for DED from Venezuela. Below, we share everything you need to know to prepare to apply for this immigration benefit.

What is DED?

DED for its acronym in English (Deferred Enforced Departure) is an executive designation that allows persons from designated countries to legally live and work in the U.S. It is valid for 18 months at a time and requires re-designation after each period of validity. This designation allows people to apply for a work permit and social security. The work permit can be renewed as long as Venezuela continues to be designated as a DED country.

When can I submit my DED application?

Currently USCIS is preparing the forms and instructions to allow those who qualify to apply. Stay tuned to learn when USCIS will be ready to receive these applications.

Requirements for DED:

  • Be a citizen of Venezuela (or be a person without statehood whose last address was in Venezuela) regardless of how they entered the United States and even if they have a deportation order
  • Have been in the US physically on or before January 20, 2021.

Even if you meet these requirements, you will not get DED if:

  • You have been found guilty of a felony or two or more “misdemeanors.”
  • You are outside the US or have already been deported on January 20, 2021.
  • Are subject to extradition
  • Or the government determines that you are a risk to the national security of the United States.

What can I do to be ready to apply for DED?

At this time, it is important that you begin collecting the following documents:

  • Venezuelan passport or birth certificate to prove your citizenship
  • Immigration stamp in your passport or I-94 showing your date of entry. If you do not enter with a visa, look for documents that have your name, an address in the United States and a date such as:
  • Employment records (pay stubs, W-2 forms, copies of your taxes
  • Letters from your employer, bank statements
  • Rent receipts, utility bills (gas, electricity, phone, etc.), receipts or letters from companies showing the dates you received the service.
  • School records (report cards, letters, etc.) from the schools you or your children attended in the US, showing the names of the schools and the dates of attendance.
  • Hospital or medical records of the treatment you or your children received, showing the name of the medical or medical facility and the dates of treatment or hospitalization.
  • Statements from churches, unions or other organizations, relative to your residence and that identify you by name.
  • Other miscellaneous documents, such as birth certificates of your children born in this country, dated bank transactions and wire transfers, letters, US Social Security card, driver’s license, Selective Service card, contracts, mortgages, policies insurance, etc.

Our firm will be available to assist you with this process. If you have any concerns or questions, please contact us at (678) 201-0389 or schedule your appointment here.